Sunday, August 1, 2010

As the Dryer Turns...

So, I've been saving up some little dry cleaner vingettes. Nothing big enough to warrant its own post, but a few thrown together make for some funny.

Things have been pretty mundane lately. I walk everyday and give my usual wave to my Drycleaning BFF. I haven't been in to have anything cleaned lately, so we haven't had a chance to chat. Occasionally, we share more than the friendly wave. Things are always awkward. It is as follows:

Day 1: I walk by and my friend is on the other side of his counter, vacuuming the rug. I raise my hand to say hello, but instead he presses one of his hands against the plate glass window and smiles at me. Hmmm...what do I do here? Put my hand up too? I feel like I'm in one of those prision movies where people try to touch each other through the glass. Yeah, I don't think so. I wave quickly, and move along.

Day 2: (Did I mention that even Haley has gotten into the waving? No matter if he's there or not, she waves and shouts 'Hi!' whenever we pass) My friend is in the back working on some shirt pressing contraption. Now, he flashes me the peace sign. Ugh. If you know me, you know I'm not about to throw it back. Maybe you'll get the 'Rock on' (or 'Hook 'em Horns for you Texas A&M fans) or a wave and that's about it. This time I got flustered. My hand is partially tethered to the stroller and I think I went for the 'Rock on' and ended up giving 'The Shocker' (if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you). Ugh, hopefully he didn't know what that meant.

Day 3 (Today): I needed to stop at CVS. So, Haley and I reversed our route and came upon the dry cleaners from the opposite direction. My friend is outside with a squeegee on a stick cleaning the windows. He's talking to someone getting into a parked car and his back is partially turned to me. He starts walking backwards to go into the shop when he sees me, "Oh hello!!!! How are you???" he enthusiastically greets me. "Good morning!" I reply as he walks straight into the closed door. (There's a double door, and one was closed, the other-where I'm assuming he was trying to walk-was propped open). "Oh my God," I exclaim, "Are you okay!?" "I'm fine, so fine!" he replied and headed back into the shop giving me another peace sign. I give him a plain wave and continue on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment