Saturday, March 6, 2010

Time to take the donuts...

out of my baby's little hands.

Ugh, this no dessert thing is seriously making me a little crazy. Today, I needed a few things at the supermarket, and it was a beautiful day so I slapped Preparation H into her strolled and headed down to Shaw's. It was a long walk (about 2.5 miles each way)and Haley was on her best behavior. So, once we completed our shopping, I hit up the bakery to try to find her a cookie. Since it was only around 9am, there were no single cookies out, but there were donuts. H loves donuts. I saw a beautiful donut. It was a plain donut (not the pasty pale kind, but the nice golden brown ones-yeah, it's been awhile since I've gotten some-dessert, that is), topped with a little glaze and covered with lovely multi-colored jimmies (sprinkles for all you non-New Englanders). I figured it would keep Haley busy on the way home. When I handed it over, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I think I whimpered a little. Haley O was in her glory. Despite having my headphones on, I could hear her smacking her lips and saying, 'MMMM good', over and over. We were about halfway home when H started shouting, 'All done!' I pulled off to the side and took the little donut remnant away from her. It was beautiful, not squished, and still coated in those taunting jimmies. I seriously started salivating (it didn't help that in the interest of health I had gotten an all natural unsweetened mint white tea at the store--as I drank it, I wondered if this is what bong water tastes like) I wanted to scarf down that donut. Oh no, I threw it on the ground like a maniac (it's biodegradable, right?) and practically sprinted home. All of this took place in front of the police officer parked in the drive for Mason field. One second before I had calmly waved and said good morning and the next I'm having a face off with a small piece of pastry.

Please, if you are close proximity to me on April 4th, just watch out. Or bring candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment