Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's next, Harry Potter?

Gosh, I hope not. I pride myself on being totally uninterested in all these nerdy book/movie blockbusters that have taken over in recent years. I don't give a flying fig about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. I especially can't stand all this vampire hubbub. I don't get the appeal of Robert Pattinson he is very feminine looking and seems to be in need of a bath. Well, this past week my 12 year old cousin visited me. While Haley O. was snoozing we watched a movie. Cousin S decided to pick 'Twilight'. She assured me she had already seen it a zillion times and it would be fine with her parents, despite it's PG-13 rating and what I had heard was a lot of implied vampire on human naughtiness. I wanted to be a good sport, and the fun older (but still hip and with it and obviously very youthful looking) cousin, so I asked her what the big deal was.

O-"I don't get it. Do you think Robert Pattinson is attractive?"
S- "Who, Edward? No way, but Jacob! He's so cute! In New Moon he takes his shirt off and I wish I could have paused it!"
O- "Oh man! I know who you're talking about...I totally want to-----uh, I mean, yes, he's a very handsome young man." (Who just turned 18 by the way, so that slightly lowers the creepy factor for me)

So, now we're watching the movie. Oh my. PG-13 it may be, but there was quite an undertone. And I totally got sucked in. It was like ridiculous mind candy. Very easy and simple, no thought process and a couple of hot guys (Robert Pattinson not included. He is still very gross and icky to me).

My husband arrives home and I confess my fall from decency. He is dumbfounded. This is coming from a man who loves "The Cutting Edge" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". Oh well, no support from him. He loves mindless crap and I had visions of us bonding over vampire ridiculousness. It wasn't meant to be.

On my way home from clinical today, I notice that New Moon is playing at the Cinema Pub. I have a fleeting fantasy of sneaking in and having a few beers and giggling over Taylor Lautner.

Please don't judge me.

2 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting that Shark Boy is in the Twilight movies. When they're finally in the cheapo DVD bin at Wal-Mart, I will buy them and yell "I love you Shark Boy!" to embarrass my by then teenaged kiddo.

    I've been torturing my mom with that recent Cake Wrecks post of non-edible items found in cakes. "Hmm, I'm making rice, better make sure there isn't a pair of scissors in it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. mindless! agreed. I read the twilight book the first week clover was home with us. at 2 in the morning. while feeding. i think it took me two nights. cheesefest, but then the movie came out and i was curious so hubby and i watched it on tv one night. horrible yet it sucks you in like lifetime tv movies without the 80's tv stars.

    btw RIP Boner.

    ReplyDelete