Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I never promised you...

a trip to the playground. Oh wait, yeah, I totally did promise you a trip to the playground. It was the only way I could coax you into your little stroller sleeping bag so I could get some exercise.



It was a beautiful afternoon. The sun was shining. As we started on our stroll, I realized it was getting chilly fast, and the sun would be down within an hour or so, so I started walking quickly towards the playground. It was about a two mile walk from our house. I figured I could just take my walk, but Haley's starting to understand things, and would probably be angry when I didn't make a left towards the playground. So, we arrive at the empty playground and I release her from her cocoon. "Okay, just a little playing, then we have to get home, it's chilly..." She's not listening to me...she's running to the swing and screaming "Up! UP! UP!!!" So, I figure a quick trip on the bucket swing, a quick trip on the kiddie slide, and I'd bribe her with the promise of a munchkin from the nearby Dunkin' Donuts to get her back into the stroller. After she went down the kiddie slide she ran across the playground, with me trailing behind. She started climbing up the big kid equipment and I said, "Okay, once down the big slide, then that's it!" In case you don't remember the big kid slide, it's one she and I both have to go down to ensure her safety (if she goes down it's the only way I can get down quickly enough to get to her at the bottom). Here's the slide...

It's pretty big. Well, I peer over the side and see Haley is laying at the bottom of the slide. I shout at her to move so I can come down and she's just laying there. I'm a little concerned, so I scoot down the slide using my leg to keep me from shooting out and pushing her onto the ground. Because of Haley, I'm still inside of the slide...except for my legs...they're sticking out and over the side around her. I then realize we're both laying in about a half inch of water. "Move, Haley, move!" Nothing. She doesn't like the freezing water on her but she isn't going anywhere. Meanwhile I fold myself in half and manage to get my upper body out from the slide. I pick her up, and she's soaked. I then realize my WHOLE ASS is soaked too. It looks like I had some sort of "accident", but there's no time for further assessment because Haley has probably realized this will result in a swift trip home and is running back towards the kiddie slide. She stands at the top of the slide, looks at her soggy pants, looks at me, and holds her fists up in the sky and screams. She hates being dirty. I somehow wrestle her back into her sleeping bag. Now she's nice and warm and ready to be taken home and changed up. I on the other hand...not so much. I'm wearing a fleece jacket and jeans (which I rarely wear when walking-if I had been wearing my yoga pants, the water wouldn't have been noticable). Now I have to walk two miles home, in my wet pants and fleece jacket, the fleece jacket that really doesn't cover my big ole' booty. I'm hoping no one I know passes me walking (this has happened on several occasions) and sees me looking like I've soiled myself. I walk as fast as one can while holding my fleece down with one hand and pushing Haley with the other. Fortunately we made it home unseen and no one revoked my Mommy-license...





No comments:

Post a Comment