So, with my third Mother's Day upon me, I guess I can officially consider myself a mom. What, I didn't consider myself a mom before? Of course I did...but as Haley gets older, it's becoming even more apparent that, whoa...I'm a parent, and responsible for this rapidly growing and changing little person. I've had her outside my body for over two years now and I haven't screwed her up! Well, her constant shouting of "Oh shit!" notwithstanding.
My first Mother's Day, May of 2008. I was still going through my new mommy indoctrination bootcamp. Trying to figure out how to nurse a baby in public without putting on a show for anyone within a 20 foot radius and learning how to avoid becoming covered in projectile baby poop. It was exciting to finally be in the mom club, but I was too busy to enjoy the day.
Fast forward to Mother's Day 2009. I attended a Mother's Day BBQ at my sister-in-laws house. It was lovely! Kim went all out as usual...but, for those of you who know me, you know I can't relax, accept help, or any special treatment. So, I spent my day chasing Haley O. and helping with all the cooking/cleaning work. Again, I love that stuff, so maybe it was a Mother's Day gift to myself.
This brings us to Mother's Day 2010. I've been listening to other Moms around me detail their plans for the day, "I'm sleeping in!" "I don't care what we do, but I'm not cooking." "I'm going to lock myself in my room with a bottle of wine and some earplugs." Hmmm...maybe I'm not quite getting the gist of this Mother's Day thing. So, I'm going to take all of those suggestions and roll them into my own. I'm sleeping in (well, until 7 at least), I'm not cooking (until night time when I have to prepare meals to be consumed during my abscence while I take two exams next week), and I'm going to lock myself in my room with an adult beverage and hope there's a Dirty Jobs marathon on the Discovery Channel.
So my fellow moms, I have a new appreciation for all you do and sacrifice. Tomorrow (or today if you're reading this on Sunday), take just a few minutes to do something just for you. And to all the Dad's reading this, you can't go wrong with chocolate, flowers, booze, and/or sparkly things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment