Thursday, October 15, 2009

Preschool is the new black...

Or that's what the pre-school cults down at the middle school would like you to believe. I know what you're thinking, "Your kid is only 19 months old, what the heck are you doing at a preschool open house." Well, when I saw an article about the Pre-school fair in The Sun Chronicled it emphasized that now is the time to check out places, because you have to register almost a year in advance for a highly desired slot.

I was a little apprehensive about going. It was put on by the North Attleboro MOMs Club. A nice little organization that does play dates and fun Mommy/Child things. I had checked out their website shortly after Haley O. made her arrival. They looked so hip and sophisticated I figured it wasn't for me, and anyways, how could I host a playdate in my tiny ass townhouse? It would just be embarrassing.

So, I show up and get an information packet from the MOMs volunteers at the door. Yikes! These ladies were all tall and gorgeous and fabulously made up. I felt like a Smurf in my Uggs and soggy hair. I started making the rounds of each table. All 24 of them. Apparently I'm totally ignorant of the intensity of preschool these days. There are preschools that have curriculum based on play, while others are set up like a traditional school. Some that were two half days a week and others that were five days, all day, every day. I know it's awhile off, but I've never been apart from Haley for more than 16 hours (and 10-12 of those hours were while she was asleep when we were at some event), and couldn't imagine shipping her off five days a week all day....think of what I could do by myself, one helpful pre-school director suggested. I briefly had fantasies of watching all day Dirty Jobs marathons while wearing my jammies...I quickly came back to reality and decided I'm not quite ready for that. At least not everyday. Maybe once a week, that would be awesome.

There were private schools, one run by the town, several Christian schools, a couple of Montessori's (definitely interested in that!), and one FRENCH IMMERSION SCHOOL! Sigh...the woman was so nice and had a pretty leopard scarf...she totally sucked me in! You know how I feel about France. If it doesn't say Louis Vuitton, I don't want to hear anything about it! Oh no, I signed up for the mailing list and everything. I tried to imagine Haley coming home and speaking French and wearing a cute beret....nah, it's just not going to happen.

So, I have several months to a year to decide when/where I want to send my future NASA scientist. Maybe I'll just home school her. I still feel like a kid myself, how can I be responsible for the academic future of another person. A person who still tries to grab her own shadow and thinks farting is funny.

C'est la vie!

1 comment:

  1. Laurel didn't do preschool because she was a late bloomer with potty-training. She was still more than ready when she started kindergarten, so I don't feel too guilty about it.

    My three-year-old nephew goes to half-day preschool two or three days a week. I think he likes it, but he doesn't talk about it when I ask him about school. Maybe it's like Fight Club?

    ReplyDelete